The baby bassinet is designed for use by newborns. It makes for ideal sleeping accommodations for the first few months of the infant’s life. The bassinet has a basket-like design; it is surrounded on every side so the baby will be kept safe and comfortable during nap times. Purchasing a quality bassinet is crucial since the bone structure of a baby is significantly vulnerable during the first 6 months.
The bassinet serves as soft and comfy bedding for infants and allows them to rest their heads and bodies in a snug yet safe spot. If you want more information about the best bassinets available on the market and how to shop for a quality model, it’s best that you read the rest of the article.
A bassinet comes in a good range of makes and styles so selecting a good one can be a bit hard, especially for new parents. In case you do not have a permanent room for the child and you want to move the bassinet frequently, it is best that you invest on a portable, mobile model with locking casters. You may also want a model that makes moderate rocking motions so your baby will be calmed down and gently lulled to sleep if need be.
The 10 best baby bassinets
|Graco Dream Suite Mason Bassinet||$$||4.1 / 5|
|Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet||$||4.1 / 5|
|HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet||$$$||4.1 / 5|
|Dream On Me Karley Bassinet||$||4.3 / 5|
|Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Bassinet||$$||4.5 / 5|
|Dream on Me Lacy Portable 2-in-1 Bassinet||$||4.0 / 5|
|Disney Baby Ultimate Sweet Beginnings Bassinet||$||4.2 / 5|
|Delta Children Deluxe Gliding Bassinet||$$||4.0 / 5|
|HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper – Premiere Series Bassinet||$$$||4.2 / 5|
|Halo – Swivel Sleeper Bassinet Premiere Series||$$$||5.0 / 5|
Before You Buy
There are lots of factors that you have to remember when shopping for a baby bassinet. Getting a cheap model or purchasing a secondhand one might not be a good idea since might not know if the product is safe for the baby to sleep in. You have to make sure that the bassinet is stable and has a strong construction without jutting parts or jagged edges that may hurt the infant.
Looking for a bassinet requires a bit of research as well since there are lots of products available on the market these days. In fact, most parents are not really familiar with the workings of a bassinet. However, you don’t have to worry, since this article will provide helpful tips on how to spot a quality bassinet. Here are some of the factors you need to keep in mind when looking for one.
- To guarantee that you will be purchasing a safe product, you have to look for the JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) seal on the product. This certification will guarantee that the item has passed strict tests and has been approved by a consumer safety agency.
- Look for a product that can be assembled easily within minutes. You do not really need a product that makes for a lengthy and bothersome setup process. Opt for a product that can be set up with minimal effort to steer clear of the hassles involved with challenging assembly procedures.
- Inspect the mattress included in the bassinet. There are bassinets that have excellent designs and form; however, if you look at it closely, you will find out that the mattress it comes with is either too soft or too firm. You want your baby to sleep on a spot that is comfy, snug, and has sufficient firmness to be safe. Then again, you can always go for those products that have passed strict ASTM standards or has the JPMA seal since the mattresses of such products are guaranteed to have a texture that is sufficiently soft and firm.
- Always check the quality of the product. Do not go into a store or shop online and purchase the first bassinet that pops up in view. You have to examine the whole thing and regard its materials and the way it was constructed. Keep in mind that the best bassinets are of excellent quality and will offer safety features for the infant. Do not scrimp on quality for a cheap model that may harm your child.
- Make safety a priority at all times. This is the factor that you should be on top of your list. Of course you do not want your baby to spend most of his or her time in a sloppily-made bassinet that has a poor frame and minimal safety features. Furthermore, you also have to consider the spot you are planning to place the bassinet and the amount of activity that goes on at home. If you have older kids or pets running about, you have to invest in a model that has a durable and strong framework—there are in fact models that are heavier than usual and they are good for homes with children and pets.
- Always make sure to check out the safety features that a certain bassinet offers. While bassinets that have more safety features might cost a bit more than the usual, it pays to invest on those items since these units will further make your baby safe while sleeping in such items.
- Check out additional features. There are bassinets that have added “entertainment” features so your baby can have a bit of fun while lying in his resting spot. There are also models that can be rocked gently to calm down babies and lull them to sleep. Many bassinets these days feature soft and soothing lullabies and sounds that can be played so your baby will fall asleep quickly. Others also come with lights so your baby will be entertained, while other models include hanging toys or mobiles that rotate over the head of the baby while they lie down and enjoy the view above them.
- For protection against excess light, certain bassinets feature canopies in order to give shade and comfort to the infant. For easier access to baby essentials, lots of bassinets come with storage baskets too so parents can reach in and get the item they need, from diapers to washcloths, without looking for such items around the house.
5 Recommended Bassinets
The search for the best product does not need to be hard. As long as you know what you and your baby need, finding a model that will accommodate both parties need not be a confusing and difficult experience.Even though there are lots of models available now on the market, reading reviews will make the whole deal easier for you. Here are some recommendations that you may be interested in with essential information about them.
#1 Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet
The Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet in the Falling Leaves model is an eye-catching fixture that comes with a leafy pattern in soothing neutral colors. It has a sleek and modern design that will suit the taste of hip parents who want something elegant for their baby. It comes with a night light plus a fastened music module that provides preloaded relaxing lullabies.It passes strict CPSC, ASTM, and JPMA standards and includes a certification from the latter. For the price it comes with, it makes excellent value for your money. This is a sturdy and lightweight model that provides comfort and safety for your sleeping infant. The only problem this fixture faces is that its wheels do not roll very well. Additionally, its included mattress pad might not be to up to your liking.
- Has relaxing music module
- Comes with night light
- Has removable and adjustable canopy
- Comes with strong and durable frame
- Includes 2-section storage basket for baby items
- Has locking casters
- Mattress pad seems out of place
- Cover does not remain connected to frame
- Wheels do not roll properly
#2 Graco Dream Suite Mason Bassinet
Babies need an area where they can sleep comfortably and safely. The latter is crucial since there are models out there that do not follow strict safety guidelines set by the CPSC and the ASTM. Thus you have to do a bit of research looking for a product that has passed those standards and at the same time will be something that will provide a snug and comfy resting spot for your babies as well.
The Graco Dream Suite Mason Bassinet has a convenient 2-in-1 design, which means it can be used as a bassinet and a diaper changing station. This comfortable and safe unit is easy to use and it also provides gentle and soothing vibration effects that lull your baby to a restful sleep. The unit provides adequate airflow, offers shade by means of a canopy, and also includes soft toys so you baby will be kept entertained. The fabric is it made with is a snap to clean and maintain, plus the inclusion of a nearby storage basket makes the whole ensemble practical.
- Reversible bassinet and diaper changing station model
- Comes with built-in storage basket
- Has a baby calming system
- Includes mesh sides for added visibility
- Simple and fast to assemble
- Has locking wheels
- Comes with soft toys and canopy
- Will not suit babies aged past 3 months and babies weighing over 15 lbs.
#3 HALO Bassinest Essentia Series Swivel Sleeper Bassinet
The Halo Bassinest Swivel Sleeper has the capability to make 360-degree turns to make watching over your baby easier and more convenient for you. Your infant can now sleep as near as parents would love while napping and dozing in his own spot. The unit rotates so parents won’t have to get in and out of bed just to adjust the unit or tend to their baby.It has a distinctive design as well so the infant will be kept visible the entire time at eye level. The mesh walls of the unit make for better breathability, and its patented side walls are capable of lowering and mechanically returning to its original position. This is recommended for moms who are still recuperating from delivery, especially C-section delivery. The bassinest is also recommended by CJ Foundation of SIDS.
- User-friendly model
- Has convenient swivel feature
- Comes with integrated light for easier night feedings
- Mesh sides make keeping watch over baby hassle-free
- Cannot be moved easily because of heavier base
- Assembly instructions a bit hard to understand
#4 Dream on Me Karley Bassinet
The Dream on Me Karley Bassinet is composed of polyester foam fabric that has a sleeping pad and double canopy. It is quite versatile, lightweight, and has great stability. It is a mobile unit since it has locking casters, which make moving it from one spot to another effortless.The bassinet only requires minimal setup and it is ideal for babies weighing up to 10 lbs. Due to its modern design, the unit will be able to match most contemporary homes. The unit allows your baby to have a sound and restful sleep in a comfortable bassinet with refined fabric that comes in an attractive lace trim and an adjustable canopy.This is a strong model that includes a bigger storage basket under the unit with locking swivel casters for excellent mobility. This is a nice product for parents who are into mobile sleeping accommodations for their newborns instead of a regular crib.
- Comes with accessible and practical storage basket under the unit
- Compact and mobile
- Has an excellent lightweight and versatile design
- Includes breathable mesh all over the unit
- Has durable, secure, and stable framework
- Mattress is thin
#5 Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Bassinet
The Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Bassinet is a convenient and practical way for parents to tend to their baby. It has a fast folding design with detachable fabrics to make cleanups and traveling with the baby easier for parents. The unit also comes with a secure and comfy canopy that features cute hanging toys on it to keep your baby entertained for hours on end.The bassinet is a breeze to unzip and extend to further take in babies who have matured and grown. It also comes with a nice, firm mattress that complies with standards set by the ASTM. Due to its portable design and inclusion of a tote bag, this bassinet model is great for traveling. A must for parents who love to travel and need a bassinet that they can set up within minutes.Pros
- Comes with mesh side panels
- Has snap-in metal legs for faster assembly and storage
- Can be folded flat, making it easier to store
- Has hanging toys for baby’s enjoyment
- Comes with secure canopy
- Has mattress cover that can be removed
- Tote bag does not come with a zipper
- Mesh material not sufficient
There is lots of information included about bassinets in this article; hopefully, you have learned a thing or two about them. The best bassinets are made from quality materials, are well-designed and have durable, lasting framework that will help keep your baby safe.
It is also recommended that parents opt for products that have passed strict ASTM and CPSC standards and bear the JPMA seal for additional levels of safety. Your baby deserves nothing but quality products in order to keep him safe so he can grow to be a healthy and strong kid.
Tips on How to Make Baby Sleep in the Bassinet
The bassinet is a compact sleeping spot that has the same design as a crib, but a lot smaller. It is usually used for newborn infants. Lots of parents make use of bassinets due to their portability and mobility—one can easily move the unit anywhere in the house because it’s light and often comes with locking casters.However, letting your baby sleep in a bassinet for the first time might require a bit of work. Sleeping with your baby on your side of the bed sounds appealing, but it’s not really considered safe for the infant due to suffocation reasons. Thus, experts often suggest that the baby in his or first months should spend his or her time more in a crib or a bassinet.Here are some tips you can use to make your sweet child sleep soundly in a bassinet.
- Be ready to make a steady routine for the child since a consistent schedule will help him sleep faster. For lots of parents, bathing the baby, feeding him his meals, replacing diapers, and then lulling him to sleep is a common routine they practice for the baby.
- Be certain that the infant is conscious whenever you position him in the bassinet. This will make the whole spot a familiar place for the little guy. Even though lots of infants nod off while being fed, it is advantageous to teach infants that nap time is an activity that they can do by themselves. As soon as you are finished with the nightly feeding and replaced diapers, position your child in the bassinet when he’s feeling sleepy but not yet slumbering. This will teach the child to settle down on his own.
- It is also recommended that you sing the baby soothing and relaxing tunes or read a story as soon as you have positioned the baby in the bassinet. Evenings can be a challenge for babies and the transition from daytime to nighttime for sleep can be hard to them. Because your baby is quite familiar with the sound of your voice, singing to him and talking will help calm him down and prompt him that you are always around.
- Do not overlook your infant’s cries. Infants do not have the capability to sleep most of the night since their stomachs cannot contain the calories needed for the abrupt, fast growth they are going through. Focus on the weight and length specifications of the bassinet and switch to a crib as soon as your child grows beyond those measurements.